The “It’s a Girl Thing!” puberty seminar is a three-hour interactive PowerPoint presentation (friendly illustrations – no graphic medical photographs), products demonstration, and Q & A.
Our age-appropriate class covers the basics about female puberty. We do not discuss male anatomy/puberty (other than a couple of necessary facts), personal practices, abstinence/contraception, STDs, etc.; those are discussions for you to continue at home.
Throughout the seminar the girls are asked, “Who is your best resource?” (that’s you!) and reminded that each of their families have certain values, beliefs, and expectations that they are to follow.
“It’s a Girl Thing!” is a non-denominational/secular presentation, but can be tailored to fit the beliefs of your group.
The puberty class is broken down into two parts (separated by a break):
First Part (one and 1/2 hours):
- What is puberty and why do we go through it?
- External changes
- Where do babies grow?
- age-appropriate explanation of “in the uterus”
- How are babies made?
- fertilization – the joining of an egg cell and a sperm cell (not how they meet)
- How are babies born?
- age-appropriate explanation of childbirth (brief explanation of C-section if a girl asks; usually someone does)
- Emotional changes
- Internal changes
- basic female reproductive anatomy
Break (30 minutes):
- Girls write anonymous questions on a notecard
- Mothers write a personal “What I want my daughter to know about puberty and growing up is…” note to daughters (to be read aloud at the end of the seminar)
- Potluck/snacks are served
- girls eat and get their “wiggles” out
- mothers eat and meet with the presenter in a separate area
- mothers hear the anonymous questions written by the girls
- “Story of Conception” is presented to the mothers for their modifications and decision on whether to stay
Second Part (one and 1/2 hours):
- Answering of anonymous questions written by girls
- What to expect and how to prepare for your period
- what does it feel/look like
- at school/overnights
- keeping track
- Product demonstration
- panty liners
- Wrap up
- summarize what was learned
- segue into “Story of Conception” for those who decide to stay*
- read personal notes from mothers to daughters
- Gift bags!
*It is common for mothers who were not intending to have their daughter stay for the brief “Story of Conception” to change their mind after hearing how it will be presented. Some wait until the last-minute to “opt-in.” We can handle this seamlessly!
Occasionally, a mother with “opt-out” (usually a young 4th grader in a mixed age group), which is perfectly fine. We respect your decision and encourage all women to support each other! A nonchalant “break for someone who has somewhere they need to be” will be given before the “Story of Conception.” We do this without singling anyone out or making them feel awkward (a gift bag with the mother’s note will be left ahead of time by the front door).
We at Sisterhood Seminars are more than happy to discuss any aspect of the puberty seminar with you or your group members ahead of time. Please contact Linda Sheldone at (760) 685-2961 or email@example.com.